Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Review : Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (The Hunger Games Series #2)

*Warning: This review may contain spoilers. Read at your own risk.

Publisher: Scholastic, Inc
Publication date: 6.4.2013
Pages: 400
Source: Own 

The Story:
Suzanne Collins continues the amazing story of Katniss Everdeen in the phenomenal Hunger Games trilogy.
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.
Barnes and Noble

RatingTHREE GOLD STARS!!!

My Review:

As you know, I was originally hesitant about reading The Hunger Games. I think the movies are fantastic but I know that usually film adaptations stray away from crucial parts in the novels. Simply put: I did not want to be pissed about my favorite parts of the book being left out of the film. However, much to my delight, The Hunger Games was great. The film adaptation did it justice!

Well, having said that, I recently finished reading Catching Fire. And, honestly, although I enjoyed some parts I did not get the same flutter in my stomach as I did for Hunger Games.That is not to say Catching Fire is not a good book, though.

Peeta Mellark, the boy with the bread, was still swoon-worthy and made my heartache for him. Who can resist unrequited love, right? Oh yeah, Katniss can! haha

"'Because I don't want you forgetting how different our circumstances are. If you die, and I live, there's no life for me at all back in District Twelve. You're my whole life,' he says. 'I would never be happy again." I start to object but he puts his finger to my lips. 'It's different for you. I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard. But there are other people who'd make your life worth living." [page 351].

Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire... Although I have the feels for Peeta's plight, I have to admit that I admire Katniss. I admire her strength, her loyalty and her compassion. Even with everything that is thrown at her she manages to stay true to herself and deal with the grievous circumstances with grace. She does not allow what President Snow is throwing at her take her down. Oh, for example, let's say: The Quarter Quill when the Tributes are reaped from the existing pool of victors! That is what you call a plot twist, is it not?! But the plot twist does not simply halt there. Not only does Katniss destroys the arena but Gamemaker Heavensbee was part of the revolution all along. And, yet again, Katniss survives The Hunger Games.


And that my Bookies, is the epitome of a strong female lead!

Let's go Katniss! Absolutely mind-altering work of literature that gets under your skin.

"My choices are simple. I can die like quarry in the woods or I can die here beside Gale. 'I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay right here and cause all kinds of trouble.'" [page 119].

Now, I am desperately trying to wait until Mockingjay Part 1 hits theaters to get started on Mockingjay ... but my resolve is slowly disintegrating. I do not know how much longer I can last. Need to finish Katniss' story ... Failing ... Urgh! 



"'It's like you're decomposing,' says Finnick. But I guess the itching wins out, because after a minute Finnick begins to treat his own skin, too. Really, the combination of the scabs and the ointment looks hideous. I can't help enjoying his distress.
'Poor Finnick. Is this the first time in your life you haven't looked pretty?' I say." [page 316].


*** Check out Suzanne Collins website for more information about her and 
Catching FireHERE

Happy Reading!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...